I love fruit salads because they are so colourful and bright, but sadly I don’t like a lot of the fruits that go in them (I am very picky!)
So I decided to make a felt fruit salad! I can look at all the pretty colours and not have to eat any of it!! Perfect!!
Download the pattern sheet here, it has the patterns for all the fruits on it.
How to make the apples pieces
1. Cut out the pattern pieces from the pattern pdf above, and use them to cut out your felt pieces.
2. Fold your cream felt circle in half, and mark two dots about 1/2cm down from the fold and away from the centre Pass your thread through the felt near the mark and back again but don’t pull it tight.
3. About 1cm away from the dot bring the needle back up through the felt and through the loop we made in step 2. Sew back through the felt very close to where the needle came out, pull the threads tight. This makes a “pip” looking stitch. Repeat so you have 4 “pips”.
4. Fold the cream circle in half, and starting at the top of the fold, line up with the top point of the green oval felt pieces. Sew around the circle using a whip stitch.
5. When you are nearly all the way around add some stuffing to the apple and then finish sewing it shut.
Your apple slice is all done, make a couple more for your fruit salad.
How to make the banana slices
How to make the orange pieces
3. Add some stuffing to the orange before you finish sewing all the way around the circles edge.
4. When you finish sewing around the edge push the needle through the orange to come out 1/3 of the way along the bottom edge (the bit we just sewn up). Then pass the needle through the felt near the centre of the top folded edge.
5. Sew back through the orange 2/3 along the bottom edge, passing the needle through to the other side to repeat the steps for the other side. Pull the thread tight to give some shape to the felt orange before knotting the end of the thread.
Your orange slice is all done, make a couple more for your fruit salad.
How to make the kiwi
How to make the strawberries
To make the strawberries follow the directions in my other tutorial, but make it a little smaller and leave out the ribbon loop bit.
If you just love this but don’t have the time to make it yourself it is also for sale in my Etsy webshop.
Come back tomorrow for directions on how to make the little bag to keep your fruit salad in.
And next week I will be showing how to make little cakes that you can decorate with your fruit also!