Back in 2011 I shared this tutorial on Ricochet and Away! As that was quite some time ago (and this week has been crazy) I thought I would share it here as well. It was my entry into their fun monthly challenges, that month it was to use appliqué when making a bag and this was my entry!!
You will need:
For the tote
- Heavy weight cotton canvas, or normal cotton with an added a layer of heavy interfacing to two of the cupcake pieces.
- Cotton for the cupcake applique
- Pattern (download here) The pattern includes 1/4″ seam allowance.
For the cherry brooch
- 3inch/7cm diameter red felt circles x 2
- Brooch pin
- 15cm green ribbon
- Small amount of poly-fill
Print off the pattern and follow the instructions to stick the pieces together and cut out the required pieces of fabric.
Remember if you are using normal fabric for the tote, you will need to add a layer of interfacing to two of the cupcake pieces.
First we are going to make the handles. Take one of the rectangles strips and fold it in half lengthways and press. Unfold it then fold the edges into the the crease we made before and press again.
Then fold in half again and sew down both edges.
Take one of the cupcake tote pieces and the cupcake bottom applique. Pin in place leaving about 1inch/3cm gap around the edge.
Sew around the edge of the applique. I went around it twice to give it a nice rustic look. Then using the pattern piece as a guide, add 5 stripes to make it look like a cupcake case (these can be very rough).
Lay the cupcake top applique on top of the tote piece and in in place, this time leave less of a gap along to top edge of the tote and applique.
Sew around the outside of the applique, then using the pattern as a guide add in the swirls of the cupcake icing. Again these can be very rough, or use a washable fabric pen if you prefer.
With the cupcake piece we just sewed, place it with the appliqued side facing up. Take one finished handle and using the pattern pin the ends into place, sticking about 1/2inch / 1cm over the edge.
Then lay a blank cupcake piece on top and pin around the edges.
Sew all the way around the edge, leaving a 3inch / 7cm gap along the bottom for turning.
Repeat for the other two cupcake blanks.
Turn the two cupcakes right way out and press so the edges are nice and flat.
Align the two cupcakes together, with the applique facing inwards (and check your top edges match!) Pin around the edges. Measure from the bottom of the tote and mark 9inchs/22cm on each side.
Sew around the edge of the tote from one mark to the other.
Turn the tote right way out and its finished! Except for the cherry on top!!!
To make the cherry brooch
1. Sew the brooch bar onto the middle of one of the felt circles.
2. Fold the ribbon in half and pin it to the edge of the circle with the brooch side facing up.
3. Place the second circle on top of the first and sew around the edge, leaving a gap for turning.
4. Turn the cherry and stuff. Ladder stitch the opening shut and pin to your cupcake tote.
This is really cute! Great job! 🙂