Well my birthday is Monday, but my boyfriend has to go away Monday afternoon for the week. So I decided to make my birthday cake today so we had time to eat and enjoy it over the weekend!
It tasted amazing, sticky chocolatey hmmmmm. I tried to smash up smarties to sprinkle on top but the processor turned them more into dust 🙁
I will see how long it lasts and may need to make a second cake 😛
Here is the recipe I followed, I have no idea where I got it from, it is just noted on a very old and tatty piece of paper with lots of cooking stains on it 😛
Ingredients (brownie mix)
– 340g caster sugar
– 170g butter
– 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
– 3 medium eggs
– 60g cocoa powder
– 95g plain flour
– 1/2 tsp baking powder
– 1/2 tsp salt
1. Preheat the oven to 180 *C (or 350 *F) and prepare a 9″ round tin with baking paper (or use a silicone one).
2. Melt your butter in a large bowl in the microwave, be careful to not burn it.
3. Once it is all melted, add in the caster sugar and vanilla extract and blend together.
4. Then add the eggs (and don’t drop 1 one the floor like me) and mix well with a large spoon. I don’t like to use a electric mixer as it adds too much air to the mixture.
5. In a separate bowl, mix together the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and salt. Make sure their are no lumps.
6. Slowly add the cocoa mixture to the butter mixture, 1/3 at a time. Again mix it in with a large spoon rather than an electric mixer.
7. Pour the mixture into the round tin and spread out evenly. Place in the oven for about 35minutes. To check the cake is cooked prick the middle with a fork or toothpick, if it comes out clean it is ready!
Let the cake cool in the pan for a couple of hours before adding the frosting.
– 20g butter
– 75g caster sugar
– 1 1/2 tbsp milk
– 45g broken up chocolate (or chocolate chips)
– sprinkles or chocolate flakes for on top
1. Once your brownie cake has cooled enough it is time to make the frosting. Don’t remove the cake from the tin yet!!
2. Melt 20g of butter in the microwave.
3. Add the sugar and milk and stick it back in the microwave for between 30seconds to 1 minute. You want the mixture to boil and get all foamy and bubbles in the bowl, but to not burn. So it is important to stand and watch it in the microwave.
4. Remove from the microwave and add the broken up chocolate and stir. The chocolate should melt into the mixture completely. If it doesn’t add it back to the microwave for 10second bursts till it is all melted.
5. Pour the frosting over the cake, spreading it out to cover the whole top, right up to the edges of the pan. Sprinkle over you sprinkles or chocolate flakes or smarties etc.
6. Let it cool for about an hour, or stick it in the fridge if that is too long to wait!! And Enjoy your brownie cake!!
Happy Birthday! The cake looks divine! Too bad your boyfriend is away, have a great week anyway 🙂 Karen
Many thanks for writing valuable post regarding the subject. I am a fan of your site. Maintain the great work.
[…] and knife (and you can’t sneak a bite before taking it!) so I cut down my old recipe I posted here to make cupcake […]